A single essential oil can be made up of many complex chemical components. The dominant characteristic and therapeutic potential of each oil is determined by its major ingredients.
Every oil can have different results on different people depending on their individual mind-body type.
1. Basil : - Pacifies 'vata' and 'kapha' and stimulates 'pitta'. Basil oil is a stimulant and anti-depressive, which relieves mental fatigue, clears the mind and improves concentration. It is a good anti-septic and decongestive for respiratory problems. It helps in coping with abdominal pain, indigestion and vomiting. Caution : - Do not use during pregnancy. It may irritate people with sensitive skin.
2. Bergamot : - Pacifies 'vata' and 'kapha' and stimulates 'pitta'. Bergamot: Uplifting, delightful citrus scent, powerful anti-depressant and nerve sedative. Possesses excellent antiseptic properties for acne, ulcers, wounds, etc. Good for cystitis. Useful in inhalation for lung conditions. Apply direct to cold sores when they first appear.
3. Camphor : - Pacifies 'kapha' Camphor cleans the mind and eases headaches. It alleviates joint and muscle pain. It acts on the nervous system and tissue, as well as on the respiratory system. Camphor is indicated for bronchitis, asthma, coughs, and arthritis. It also helps in nasal sinus congestion.
4. Cardamom : - Pacifies 'vata', 'kapha' and increases 'pitta'. Cardamom is basically used as a digestive remedy for indigestion, flatulence, abdominal pain, heartburn, breathing and nausea. It has a wonderful, stimulating and toning effect on the mind and body; it makes a refreshing bath, which can relieve fatigue, and soothes strained nerves while helping to clear the mind of confusion. It has an aphrodisiac property.
5.Carrot seed : - Beneficial for kidneys and dropsy; cleans the blood; good for hair care; aromatic; stimulant; antiseptic.
6. Cedarwood : - Pacifies 'vata', 'kapha' and increases 'pitta'. A mild woody scent, good for harmonizing and stabilizing unbalanced energies. Not to be used in pregnancy. Good for oily skins and acne. Used in inhalation for lung conditions.
7. Chamomile : - Reputed to be the best anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic oil. Good for muscular aches and pains. Soothing and calming for various states of anxiety and insomnia.
8. Cinnamon : - Cinnamon stimulates sluggish digestion and helps in relieving flatulence and spasm. It acts as a respiratory and circulatory stimulant. Cinnamon also has antiseptic, anti-microbial and parasiticidal properties making it good for head lice, scabies and other skin infections. It can relieve mental fatigue, improve poor concentration, nervous exhaustion and help lift depression.
9. Clary Sage: - A euphoric and a very powerful relaxant - to be used with caution. Rub a few drops on the face for insomnia. For sore throats, laryngitis etc., gargle with 2% in distilled water. Do not use when drinking alcohol.
10.Clove: Warming tonic and a spicy oil. Relieves general physical and mental debility. A powerful antiseptic; used in vaporization as a prevention against infectious illnesses. A well known toothache remedy - apply directly to the tooth. Can be used as a mouthwash for sores and ulcers.
11 . Coriander: - Sweet, spicy aroma. Stimulating and refreshing. Useful as a muscle rub. Encourages appetite and digestion.
12 . Cypress : - A resinous woody oil. Particularly good for influenza and coughs and for inhalation. Use a few drops on a handkerchief to help clear breathing. To help clear varicose veins, use in massage oil around the area of the veins but not on them. For heavy menstruation.
13 . Eucalyptus : - Pacifies 'kapha'. Eucalyptus is a powerful antiseptic and a renowned decongestant used mostly for coughs, cold, chest infections and sinusitis. It has an immunity stimulating property and is an effective local pain killer, especially for nerve pain. It is an excellent repellant.
14 .Geranium : - Pacifies 'vata' Geranium is mentally uplifting and refreshing. It has a balancing effect on the nervous system, helps to alleviate apathy, anxiety, stress, hyperactivity and depression. It has anti-septic properties and is beneficial for skin problems. It is used to treat P.M.S and menopausal problems.
15 . Ginger : - A tangy rich oil. Very effective in massage oil for rheumatic pains, especially when combined with Rosemary oil. A stimulating general tonic, good for all digestive problems and for loss of appetite. Use as a bath oil to ward off colds.
16. Jasmine: - Jasmine pacifies 'pitta'.
Jasmine has a reputation as an aphrodisiac, benefiting impotence in men and frigidity in women. Its relaxing and anti-depressive effect helps to clear postnatal depression. It is stress relieving and is uplifting during times of lethargy. It has decongestant properties, which makes it beneficial for colds and infections of the throat and chest.
17 . Juniper : - Pacifies 'kapha'. Juniper is physically and emotionally cleansing. It helps to detoxify the body of harmful waste products that contributes to problems such as rheumatoid arthritis and cellulite. It also clears the mind of confusion and exhaustion. It stimulates digestion, relieves nervous tension, and is an excellent disinfectant.
18 . Lavender : - For all types of skin, alopecia, dermatitis, eczema, inflammation, insect bites, psoriasis, sunburn, burns, wounds, earache, headache, migraine, nose and throat infections. Lowers high blood pressure. Relieves colic, flatulence, indigestion, nausea, cystitis, fluid retention, aches and pains, rheumatism, sprains, anxiety, depression, irritability, palpitations and catarrh complaints.
19 . Lemon : - A refreshing light oil. Classic remedy for sore throats - gargle by adding 2% to warm water. Excellent antiseptic - dab neat on insect bites and stings. To stop bleeding, dab on small cuts as a 2% solution in boiled water.
20 . Lemongrass:- Invigorating scent and bath oil. Use as a cleanser for oily skin by blending with a vegetable oil or distilled water.
21 . Lime: - (Distilled) citrus - Excellent tonic and antiseptic. Fresh, sweet, zesty aroma obtained by steam distillation of the whole ripe fruit.
22 . Marjoram: Pacifies 'kapha'. Marjoram is a sedative and a nerve tonic, which works to relieve nervous tension and promotes restful sleep. Inhaling marjoram also relieves headaches and migraines. Its expectorant property makes it beneficial for respiratory problems. The oil is a vasodilator, which is beneficial in treating H.B.P and improving circulation. Marjoram is comforting and reduces sexual desires.
23 Myrrh : - Pacifies 'vata', 'pitta' and 'kapha'. Myrrh relieves agitation; calms fears and uncertainty and has a positive balancing effect on the emotions. Myrrh is an excellent decongestant and a lung tonic that is good for coughs, cold, bronchitis, and flu. It stimulates, tones and soothes the digestive system.
24 Neroli: - Citrus obtained from orange blossom i.e. from the flowers of the bigger orange. Calming and soothing during times of stress, helps restore sleep. Ideal for skin care, especially mature and dry skin. Exquisite light floral aroma.
25 Nutmeg: - Warm, sweet, spicy aroma. Stimulates imagination. Useful muscle rub. Stimulates digestion. Use in moderation.
26 Orange: - A delicious sweet scent with a high Vitamin C content - good at the onset of a cold, blended with any of the spice oils. Especially recommended for children and states of general debility. Sedative properties - effective remedy for insomnia, diarrhea and palpitations. A lovely room freshener in vaporization.
27 Palmarosa: - Excellent skin care oil, helps moisturize the skin. Ideal during difficult times.
28 Patchouli: - A musky, sweet, sensual oil - renowned as an aphrodisiac. A powerful stimulant on the nerves, lifts anxiety and depression. An excellent fixative in massage oils. In skin care it promotes formation of scar tissue and is good for treating mature skin, dryness and inflammation.
29 Peppermint : - Peppermint is a painkiller beneficial for toothache, headache, and migraine. It relieves itching and is a useful antiseptic for acne. Mental and muscle fatigue are both relieved by peppermint. It is a valuable decongestant in the treatment of bronchitis, cold and flue. It relieves digestive conditions and travel sickness.
30 Petitgrain : - Derived from the leaves of the orange tree having similar properties to orange flower, but less refined in fragrance. Excellent fixative in massage blends and perfumes. Inhale to sharpen alertness.
31 Pine : - A pungent, clean scent, good for mental fatigue. Powerful antiseptic for all infections of the respiratory tract when used in inhalation. In the bath, it helps relieve aches and pains. Good for treating rheumatism and gout.
32 Rose : - Pacifies the 'Vata' body type.
Rose is an aphrodisiac and sedative. It is of use in stress related conditions - insomnia, nervous tension etc. It is a powerful antiseptic against viruses and bacteria. It helps to regulate menstrual cycles and alleviate P.M.S or post natal depression. It is a tonic for the heart and circulatory system and relieves digestive disorders.
Caution: Do not use during the first 3 months of pregnancy and avoid completely if there is a history of miscarriage.
33 Rosemary : - A strengthening, invigorating oil, good for stimulating weak memory, also for vertigo and general dullness. Invigorates the circulation. Use in massage oil for aches and pains, and liver complaints. Good as a hair rinse - add three drops to rinsing water. For treating dandruff, apply to the scalp, a few drops in a vegetable oil base.
34 Rosewood : - A sweet smelling woody aroma. It is antiseptic, regenerative, relaxant and an anxiety reliever. Excellent for dry skin and hair.
35 Sandal Wood : - Pacifies 'vata' and 'pitta' and neutralizes 'kapha'. Sandalwood is a bactericidal, astringent and is effective against respiratory conditions and digestive disorders. Fragrance can also help to lift depression and banish the feeling of anxiety and lack of sexual desire.
36 Tea Tree: Powerful antiseptic. Ideal for vaporizing to kill germs - especially beneficial during the winter months. Useful 'cleansing' agent for the skin. Helps combat foot odor. Can be used as a disinfectant. Kills fleas on pets. Put neat only on the outside of the pet's collar.
37 Thyme : - very powerful antiseptic oil. Strengthening and invigorating for physical and mental debility of all kinds. As bath oil - excellent for relieving muscular pain. In vaporization - combats infections diseases.
38 Vetiver : - A tall, scented grass with a woody, smoky aroma. Deeply relaxing, ideal in massage oil or bath. Traditionally used in men's toiletries. Blends well with Lavender.
39 Ylang Ylang : - Means 'flavor of the flower'. It is a sedative, anti-depressive and a tonic for the nervous system. Depression, anxiety, tension, irritability and stress related insomnia can also be relieved through its soothing properties. It is reputed to be an aphrodisiac. It can also help reduce H.B.P and slow breathing and heart rate in cases of stroke, panic or rage.
*Disclaimer: - The information of this page is collected from various resources, for knowledge and Studies. It should not be considered as prescription, recommendation and/or advice for ailments and ailments, diseases